Cara Landolfi joined the firm in October 2013. As our first female Partner, Cara is a groundbreaker and has the work ethic to match. She's able to provide clients a full range of successful and cost effective legal services, which include community association law, litigation, real estate, and landlord tenant matters in the State and Federal Courts of New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
I strive to be a compassionate attorney and take great pride in carefully listening and understanding my client's problems, wants, and needs. I am persistent in working to achieve the best potential outcome.
By listening and understanding her clients' needs, Cara provides thoughtful and thorough counsel. In addition, she provides services to the firm's community association clients such as:
• Interpretation and amendment of governing documents.
• Preparation of rules, resolutions, and other corporate documents.
• Management of association risk; help with insurance coverage issues; help with compliance with federal and state law.
• Advising boards on fiduciary duties; resolving resident disputes including alternative dispute resolution procedures; collection of delinquent maintenance charges.
• Handling annual meeting and election issues; and, providing legal representation on community association related litigation such as covenant enforcement, collections, election related issues, contractual disputes, construction defects, and real estate tax appeals.
Besides providing services to community association clients, Cara offers legal advice, research, brief services, investigation, negotiation, and litigation in the areas of chancery litigation, construction defect litigation, commercial litigation, municipal defense litigation, employment litigation and landlord tenant matters.
Representative matters include: successfully getting summary judgment dismissing various tort claims while defending municipalities in the matters of, Jurasin v. Borough of Maywood, Docket No.: BER-L-139-17 and Lima Dos Santos v. Fairview, Docket No.: HUD-L-1498-18; successfully getting summary judgment dismissing all counts against a Corporation and its officers in the matter of Herman v. Tramo USA, et al., Docket No.: HUD-L2745-16; resolving multiple litigated and non-litigated construction defect matters with developers; successful arbitrating a consumer fraud claim on behalf of a homeowner resulting in a $1 million dollar award; and, successfully resolving various litigated matters involving community associations and their residents.
Cara is a graduate of Franklin & Marshall College where she received her bachelor's degree in Psychology and Public Policy and was a captain of the Women's Basketball Team. After college, Cara attended Duquesne University School of Law in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and graduated cum laude. Prior to joining the firm, Cara served as a law clerk to the Honorable John J. Langan, J.S.C., in Bergen County. She is a member of the Morris Pashman Inns of Court, Bergen County Bar Association, and a member of the alumni council at The Montclair Kimberley Academy in Montclair, New Jersey.
Areas Of Practice
- Community Association Law
- Civil Litigation
- Construction Defect Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- General Equity
- Real Estate
- Real Estate Tax Appeals
- Landlord Tenant
- New Jersey, 2012
- Pennsylvania, 2012
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- Duquesne University School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- J.D. - 2012
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Public Interest Law Fellow
- Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- B.A. Public Policy - 2009
- Herman v. Tramo USA, et al., Docket No.: HUD-L2745-16 successfully obtained summary judgment in the dismissing multiple counts against the Corporation and its officers.
- Commercial Arbitration–Consumer Fraud - In the Matter of Brunelleschi Construction, LLC Cara, with Mr. Kates, represented homeowners in arbitration proceedings against Brunelleschi Construction, LLC, which had contracted to renovate a home in Tenafly, New Jersey at a cost of $200,000+. They awarded the homeowners $857,894 by the arbitrator against Brunelleschi, and HGTV “Kitchen Cousins” John Colaneri of Ramsey and Anthony Carrino of Jersey City, who were principals or employees of Brunelleschi. The arbitration award on July 23, 2015 included the costs to remediate and complete the home improvements, as well as damages for consumer fraud.
Ms. Landolfi, with Mr. Kates, represented homeowners in arbitration proceedings against Brunelleschi Construction, LLC, which had contracted to renovate a home in Tenafly, New Jersey at a cost of $200,000+. The homeowners were awarded $857,894 by the arbitrator against Brunelleschi, as well as HGTV "Kitchen Cousins" John Colaneri of Ramsey and Anthony Carrino of Jersey City, who were principals or employees of Brunelleschi. The arbitration award on July 23, 2015 included the costs to remediate and complete the home improvements, as well as damages for consumer fraud.
Honors and Awards
- Selected as “Rising Star” by New Jersey Super Lawyers Magazine
- Named as a Bergen County “Top Lawyer” by (201) Magazine
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey Bar Association
- Bergen County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Morris Pashman Inns of Court
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. John J. Langan, Jr., J.S.C., Law Clerk, 08/2012 to 08/2013